Toggle Menu - Click Here


Managing your personal affairs

Solicitors for the elderly client

Having peace of mind and knowing that your affairs are in order is helpful to any client, whatever their age or circumstance.

At Coupe Bradbury we offer a friendly, sympathetic and comprehensive service in the following areas:

  • General and Lasting Powers of Attorney
  • Court of Protection applications
  • Paying for care/continuing care representation.

We are happy to visit clients at home, in care homes or in hospital.

Lasting Powers of Attorney

Lasting Powers of Attorney were created by the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and came into force in 2007. Enduring Powers of Attorney executed prior to the 1 October 2007 are still valid.

There are two types of Lasting Powers of Attorney:

  • Property and Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney which allows an individual to appoint a person or persons whom they may wish to manage their affairs in the event they lose capacity, whilst they still have capacity to do so
  • Health and Welfare Lasting Powers of Attorney: a relatively new legal concept, these only come into effect when the appointer loses mental capacity. They appoint persons to make decisions relative to all aspects of personal welfare. They have similarities to Advance Directives. We can provide specialist advice on whether an Advance Directive is also required.

We offer a fixed fee service. It is possible to create either one or both Lasting Powers of Attorney. We can also provide advice and assistance to the attorney if it is necessary for them to act under the Lasting Power of Attorney.

Court of Protection Applications

A full service is provided to include applications:

  • To be appointed as a deputy under a Deputyship Order, necessary where a person has not created a valid Lasting Power of Attorney or Enduring Power of Attorney
  • Applications for the approval of gifts to be made by an attorney
  • Applications for a statutory Will.

We will prepare the complex applications and can also provide assistance and advice to the deputy in filing the annual deputyship report and to act under the Deputyship Order.

Paying for care and continuing care and representation

Coupe Bradbury can assist with ensuring that the proper assessment and procedures for a return to home or to a care home from hospital or funding have been followed. We can guide and assist through the procedure:

  • From initial assistance in completing the Means Assessment forms
  • To negotiating with the appropriate organisations to ensure that the correct level of NHS Funding is received.