Lancashire solicitors with heritage and character
that makes all the difference
Based in the north west of England, Coupe Bradbury serve clients across the region, from Preston and Blackpool right across Lancashire and beyond. Read on to find out about our location and our rich heritage, which is your guarantee of a quality legal service.
About Coupe Bradbury
Where traditional values meet modern business
Kirkham is an ancient market town set in the heart of the Fylde countryside, almost equidistant between Blackpool and Preston. It continues to discharge its traditional role of serving the villages and farming communities. Over the last 30 years there has been significant residential infill resulting in the town having a larger residential catchment. The town has prospered as a result. It is also on the doorstep of major local employers including BAE Systems.
Kirkham was the site of a Roman legionary fort. It held medieval markets and in recent centuries was a centre of linen and cotton weaving (sails were made for the Royal Navy).
David Coupe first opened the doors of the practice in 1969 at 48 Poulton Street. The building was previously a private residence situated in the central part of the town's main high street. The expansion of the practice resulted in six additional rooms being added. The house once had a long garden but this was recently acquired to create improved parking for the town to satisfy the increasing profile of Kirkham as a shopping centre.
Coupe Bradbury's first home
Lytham was an ancient fishing village mentioned in the Doomsday Book. During the 19th century, as a result of rail travel, it developed as an up-market residential town to satisfy the needs of prosperous families wishing to move to the coast. A number of very attractive Georgian and Victorian villas were built along the seafront overlooking two or three miles of grassland known as "The Green". There is an early 19th century windmill on The Green, a lifeboat house and museum. The town is unspoilt. It continues to be much sought-after as a place to live and attracts large numbers of visitors each year.
Lytham does not suffer much economically. This is because of its mixed economy. It has an above-average concentration of prosperous high net worth residents and, in addition to the tourist trade, the economy is helped by the nearby presence of several large employers. Guardian Royal Exchange had its main computer centre in Lytham and this still operates under new ownership. There is an important Land Registry and BAE Systems (military aircraft division) is close by. The district also provides employment to large numbers of civil servants. It is in close proximity to major towns including the cities of Preston, Manchester and Liverpool.
In 1987 the firm opened its first office in Lytham to enable it to efficiently service a growing number of commercial and high net worth private clients. Since then the firm has experienced exponential growth and has moved premises twice. In 1992 the firm acquired its present premises. This is a building built in 1846 as the first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in the town. It was superseded by a larger chapel in 1868. It was then used as a Masonic Hall, a Reading Room and a Coffee Tavern. In the later part of the 19th century it became an Auction Room. During the 2nd World War it became known as a "Donut Dugout" - a hospitality centre for American GIs - complete with paintings of Mickey Mouse! After that it became an NHS Health Clinic until 1992. It has been sensitively restored by Coupe Bradbury. It still retains the stairs to the chapel gallery. Internally it provides modern, convenient and purpose-built offices created by partitioning.